Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ooooooooh. Yeah.

Bawahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Not to brag, but some days it's just good to be an Apple shareholder. Somebody reported that Apple's market cap is bigger than IBM's and Intel's as of today. I think that's apropos of nothing useful, but it's kinda cool anyway.

One thing I'm really happy to see is that people are saying Leopard will be even more secure than Tiger. There was a bunch of technical jargon associated with those discussions on a site called TidBits. I read it, but frankly the whole thing was a little geeky for me. The last time I did anything remotely like programming was back when I used to copy really useless BASIC programs into my Commodore 128 out of the backs of magazines. I think that was about 1985 or so.

My comparison for "more secure" is along the lines of:

Well, I haven't had any malware in the last 20 years on, like, seven different Macs. When OS upgrades were accomplished by taking a few disks down to Computerland and having them burn you a copy of the new system and finder. Then you took it all home and installed it. The whole process, including stopping for a pint at the pub, took less than an hour unless there was a football game on at the bar. But that was okay. You probably had a file downloading. An 80k font, downloading at 300 baud from GEnie, was going to take a while anyway.

I know I was online with my Mac SE because I was online with my Commodore 64 in 1982. So 20 years almost constantly online with Macs, not a single piece of malware. 100% nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Scratch. Goose egg. The empty set. Diddly. Squat. Blank. Void.

Now Leopard is going to be more secure than that.

Okay. I can go with that.

The Macalope is reporting that some noodle thinks Apple needs to sell Macs with Windows bundled. That makes perfect sense to me. They should include C/PM, too. And OS/2. Maybe DOS, just for shits and giggles.

Let's take this concept to the whole consumer market. From now on, all Porsches and Mercedes should include a spare tire and jack from a 1974 Ford F-150, too. In fact, all great products should come bundled with some obsolete component from a competing brand.

USDA Choice Prime Rib should always be sold pre-marinated in A-1 sauce.

Single malt scotch should be sold on the rocks, in the bottle, with a little Dr. Pepper.

I can't do this anymore. Dinner's almost ready and I'm destroying my own appetite.

Windows on Macs. Pheasant under glass, with a splash of ketchup, and a glass of Diet Cream Soda.

Gag me.