Saturday, January 19, 2008

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Been reading all manner of bullshit about the MBAJ. I think I have the synopsis right here. Lessee....it's underpowered; it doesn't have a replaceable battery; no optical drive; little tiny HD; not enough USB ports; it doesn't come in any flavors except strawberry; there's more to life than just being light and thin; and Steve Jobs is just plain greedy and awful. So, um, if you buy one you're a fanboy and a clown and an idiot.

So, first of all, for those of you who missed it: There is no one-size-fits-all in computers or sport coats. You have to buy your size. Sometimes it takes a little tweaking to be perfect. A properly tailored sport coat takes into account that even though I wear a 46 Regular, it fits better with a little extra room around the middle. Some guys who wear a 46-R find mine a little baggy. Okay? You may not want a MacBook Air Jordan. You may not be able to wear my sport coat either. That doesn't make either one of us stupid. It makes us different.

Another analogy that fits is automotive devices. If you need a 3/4-ton pickup truck, a Celica isn't going to do the job for you. That doesn't mean that people who buy compact cars are getting garbage, or that they have mental deficiencies. It means they are buying what fits their preferences. Maybe I want a bigole baddass MacPro at home so I can run CivIV without hangs; but on the road, where all I do is post to the blog and read email, a MacBook Air Jordan will do the job just fine. In fact, right now my old PowerBook G4 is getting it done without a hitch.

Some people are interested in the lap candy of an MBAJ. I can't say as I blame them. If that's not you, well, let's talk about the machine on its merits and technical specifications like grown ups. If it isn't for you don't buy one. If it fits me and not you, I'll get one you won't. I don't think everyone who buys the other sizes of shoes is stupid. Why should computers be any different? If you need a buggy turn-of-the-century operating system, and you love to run anti-virus programs and watch the computer startup for five or six minutes a day, you need Windows. Far be it from me to make fun of that.

I have read numerous commentards on various blogs and news sites ripping the MBAJ, and insulting the people who want one. Dumbasses.

It's a Mac. It will run Leopard. It will do what most people need a computer to do on the road. So chill. Dumbasses.

Oh, one other thing. If you bought an iPod Touch before the new software was released, everything was there that you paid for when you bought it. Anything extra is extra. It sure would be nice if Apple didn't charge you $20 for the software upgrade, but they are. If you don't want it, don't buy it. If you want it, buy it. Then quit whining. At least if you're going to snivel, form a group off to the side somewhere and snivel to Apple. Try to write a petition at the ninth grade reading level. You know, decent grammar, words spelled correctly, understandable syntax; work on it. If you can't manage that, just shut up. Thank you.

Time for my pills.

Packers

Patriots

'Nuff said.