Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Those Fans Really Blow

Okay. I've been away. It's not my fault.

Here's the official story. For the last few months, every time I've restarted the old G5 it's been a guessing game whether it's going to fire up or just sit there with its big grey Apple staring at me. Sunday night we had a brief loss of power (like 10 seconds). Afterwards there was nothing I could do to fire the thing up. It just sat there with the wheel going around under the Apple logo for about ten minutes. Then all 27 fans started going full throttle. It sounded like a Hoover on steroids.

I started it in single-user mode and ran "fsck." That didn't work. It wouldn't even go through all the diagnostics. I figured my Hard Drive had reduced itself to being worth its weight in aluminum foil. I unplugged it and took it to the shop. I took in the Cinema Display, too. It's had a minor backlight problem for months, so I figured, "As long as I'm taking the thing in anyway, might as well get it all back to new."

The computer starts fine in the shop. It runs fine. In the shop.

It turns out my 8-year old UPS is toast. But they found out the optical drive is intermittent, so they're replacing it. Plus they have to replace a bad board in the Cinema Display.

I'll get it back tomorrow if all goes well.

Tonight I'm using my daughter's MacBook because:

a. She let me.

b. She isn't home from her boyfriend's house yet.

c. I bought the frippin' thing, after all.

News

The Vista Crack was a joke. It only stands to reason.

After extensive research (come on, you know me better than that) Rip Ragged has determined which joke it was:

Two cannibals are eating a clown.
One says to the other, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Not News

Bill Gates thinks America is falling behind the rest of the world in technology. He's right. Too many people are running Windows in this country.

Vista isn't doing so well in the marketplace. Probably because it sucks.

That iPod-killer Zoomy-thingy isn't exactly kicking the world's ass, either. Probably because it sucks.

The reports of OS X malware in the wild are still a little slow coming in.

Statistically, St. Charles Place is the absolute best property to have hotels on.